Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 5

July 5th, 1920 hrs. Position N 28.34 / W 158.59
Looks like we have averaged 140 miles per day the last couple of days since we were able to turn more north. Or better described as about a 2 1/2 drive on the highway. Not the fastest way to travel.
Today was pretty pleasant. The seas settled down for much of the day so the ride was much more comfortable. I spent a large amount of time in the cockpit reading and just enjoying the blue water. I know this is the same ocean I have at home, but the color here is amazing, I can stare at it for hours. Nothing exciting today, saw lots of flying fish skimming across the ocean, fun to watch for a bit. I started to see misc. garbage float by, not convinced that it is tsunami debris yet but it got me watching for more. The seas picked back up this evening just in time for cooking dinner, go figure. Nothing like having a moving target for a pan on the stove. We are still moving along at about 6.5 knots, the wind is still blowing around 20 knots. I can feel us getting more into a routine. After dinner and doing dishes, I usually sit down and send this update and order weather gribs. Wait a bit and log back on and download the gribs. I hit the sack around 8ish and get up at midnight to relieve Bob on watch. He gets back up at 4:00 and I go back to bed for a couple hours. Either of us is up at any time that something needs adjusting or checking. The weather is still pretty warm but with 20 knots off of the ocean it gets cool in a hurry. Nothing else to report for tonight, I hope everything is going well at home. Bob says "hi" and Becky, he want to know if you have remembered to get the electricity canceled at the marina in Honolulu?
Rachel and Kyle, hope you guys are reading these. I keep thinking about you guys, miss ya.

1 comment:

  1. Paul,
    I missed the email Peg sent with your's and Bob's blog but I read all your posts. What an awesome opportunity for an adventure you will never forget. How many people can say they have sailed from Hawaii to Oregon? I can almost see the ocean, the boat and the daily duties as I read what you write about them. This is interesting for me as I read about this in the safety of my home. Not many people I know would have the courage to take this on....friendly winds to push you, the sun and moon to guide you and smooth seas to bring you both safely home.....Andrea

    ReplyDelete