Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 2

July 3 1930 hrs N 23.47/W 159.06
Last night was a bit rolly with winds not cooperating. The island influence on the winds had us making a NW course and watching to make sure that we cleared Kauii. By mid morning the trade winds finally took over and we were able to adjust to a northerly course. We are currently sailing due north at 360 deg. The wind has been constant, holding pretty steady around 20 knots. We're holding about a 6.5 knot average, but we are a little harder on the wind than Bob would like so we are bouncing around quite a bit.
I'm trying to settle into this cruising routine. I feel a bit like an observer more often than I like while I try to figure out the boat, the systems and Bob's methods. Hopefully I will have it down soon enough to feel like I'm more of a help.
I got an education in cooking while underway tonight. Bob made spaghetti for dinner. It was fairly smooth when he first started but sure enough, once he was committed the winds picked back up to about 20 - 25 knots and we started bouncing all over. He informed me that this was standard operating procedure and the Becky could always tell the wind speed by how much the stove was rocking back and forth. I think this trip without her is a good thing for him. I have heard him express wonder in how she managed to do things more times than I can count. Sounds like he is appreciating what she has dealt with for the last umpteen years more with each passing day. I have a suspicion that we both might lose a little weight on this trip.
We are working on getting our watch schedule down and trying to get enough sleep. We're a bit concerned that once we hit the tsunami debris area that our sleep will be less and our watches more concentrated. Bob thinks we will be in the area in about 5 days so we will see what that brings for changes

Becky, Bob asked that you forward these emails to Wings. They are planning on leaving Hawaii around the 6th and want to hear what we are seeing for debris sightings.

1 comment:

  1. I think the debris field should be interesting and I would imagine dangerous.

    Thanks for keeping a blog, this is very cool to keep up on your trip.

    Safe sailing!

    ReplyDelete